Channel: Home | About

Light Is My Mantle

Lord, I am in a dark place
I cannot tell where the room ends
And the world begins; whether the walls are close
Or far apart. All is dark,
There is no candle lit
To push back the shadow
and fear has crept into my heart

In the day when all was light
Fear fled like shadows;
There was no place found for them to rest
For no shadow can live if light and love
Are manifest

I long for the day
And I long for the end of fear, and
The assurance of perfect
Light and Love
No shadow dwells in your love, Lord
Thou art altogether perfect
It is thee I long for

If you are everywhere, Lord
Then with every step I take
Throughout the wide world
I would find it impossible to escape
The center of your love
Even in shadow you are there
For light and dark have no fellowship
One with the other
Despite the darkness I perceive about me
Yet am I surrounded by light
And fear has no purchase
My heart is free
For you, my God, are with me
And light is my mantle
The gift of your mercy and grace
Through the shedding of your blood
Light is my mantle
And I need not fear the shadow


E.L. Ashley
111404.015221.6

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Eric, I read the post of what you wrote while in church Sunday. It was absolutely beautiful!! You are quite the poet. :-) I remember those dark places, just like it was yesterday (probably because it was just a month or so ago that those places were home for me. I thought forever!!). I am still somewhat sad as I wait for what I believe to be God's promise. I should be happy (the bible says "happy is he that waits on the Lord), but I'm concerned, worried, so ready for God to change my life and come through with my prayer. I'm at a place I've never been in my life before with "believing" and the concept of "letting go and letting God". It's scary to me because I don't think I ever truly did that but one time before and the result broke my heart. And I have trouble understanding that. I just wish I knew SOMETHING!! Anything!! About the course of my life in collaboration with the answer of my prayer. Pastor Ralph talked about having vision and direction in our life being necessary and I can't grab on to anything solid, but maybe that is faith. I'm so hoping it is. But I digress, your post was beautiful.

Post a Comment