Channel: Home | About

An Oprah Moment...

I've been debating the last couple weeks whether or not to post my comments on Oprah's visit to the Astrodome. I Didn't want to criticize someone who is more than able to put a face on the suffering to the extent that money could be raised for relief efforts. I have nothing against Oprah, and her show is often informative, but then there are the Cameron Diaz episodes...

"We have a voice now, and we're not using it, and women have so much to lose. I mean, we could lose the right to our bodies...If you think that rape should be legal, then don't vote. But if you think that you have a right to your body, and you have a right to say what happens to you and fight off that danger of losing that, then you should vote..."
--Cameron Diaz, September 2004, pleading with the youngun's to Rock the Vote.
Right. Like rape is legal ANY where in this country, or most others. Like Congress would ever pass such a law. But what more am I to expect from the new MTV generation of brain-dead? But I digress.

I have no qualms with Oprah being public in her support of the victims of Katrina, and who knows, perhaps the victims of Rita as well, but I simply have to draw the line when she pulls out one of her famous "Oprah Moments". There she is Talking with a woman in the Astrodome, joining in commiseration over the whereabouts of this poor woman's lost [as in 'she didn't know where they were...'] family, when all of a sudden,

"Surprissse!!!! Look who we found!"
And I'm thinking, "Puh-leeze!" Talk about shamless self-aggrandisement! Well, Oprah obviously meant well, I'd be lying if I claimed to believe otherwise. I simply wish she had left the Oprah Moment on the cuttingroom floor. Better to interview the woman after the fact, and tell the audience what she and her staff had done, rather than take what appeared to be nothing more than an opportunity to paint herself in a good, beatific light.

Then there's her first "official" episode for the new season... Jennifer Anniston. "So Jen, when do you think you'll begin dating again? How hard will that be?" [paraphrased]

Good grief! Not a very auspicious beginning. Give me more of Dr. Oz!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment