Channel: Home | About

Jim Nantz of CBS Sports: "This is one of those moments, Tony, where there is also social significance in this victory, and to have your hands on the Vince Lombardi Trophy. Tell me what this means to you right now."

Tony Dungy: "I'll tell you what. I'm proud to be representing African-American coaches, to be the first African-American to win this. It means an awful lot to our country. But again, more than anything, I've said it before, Lovie Smith and I, not only the first two African-Americans, but Christian coaches showing that you can win doing it the Lord's way. And we're more proud of that."


Imagine that, being more proud of Jesus than the fact that he's black. Now THAT is a man with a Godly perspective!

I didn't watch the superbowl [little 's']. I had intended to go the church, but with this cold I've got... well, I made the morning service, but was too tired and achy for the evening. What I did see was all the rain!-- can't very well call the game on account of rain! Not with the amount of money the NFL and CBS had on the line.

On a side note, I watched the half-time show and was almost completely unimpressed. The artist formerly known as 'The Artist Fomerly Known as 'Prince'' actually played his guitar. He's not the smooth virtuoso of an Eddie Van Halen or a Joe Perry, and not even remotely in Alex lifeson's league [that's enough of a clue for to give away my tastes-- musically, if not lyricly] but it was passable, if not particularly inspiring. Prince's material was likewise uninspiring.


2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    You know? I watched the entire Superbowl and not once do I recall noticing that any one player or coach was black. I noticed they were big, or fast, or strong, or happy, or dejected, but I didn't notice their color.

    It seems to my simple mind, that football is football, and who cares about the race of the participants?

    Well, I guess Liberals do.

    The ones that are forever bemoaning the fact that there is racial discrimination in this country.

    I wonder when they will "get it"?
    Anonymous said...
    I agree. The game of football isn't about the color of the coaches' or players' skin, it's about 'who can win the game?' I recognize that there have been inequities in terms of the availability of coaching positions for black coaches, but that still doesn't negate the fact that it takes a winning coach to make it to the Superbowl. Color doesn't count.

    Granted, in order to win the lottery one must first buy a ticket, so let's celebrate the first black coach at the Superbowl-- It is a milestone. But coach Dungy seems to have the right perspective on all this.

Post a Comment