Channel: Home | About


The Mechanics of Grace:

Foundational/Necessary for Salvation

Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; by which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; and that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures

1 Corinthians 15:1-4

1- Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures
2- He was buried [according to the scriptures]
3- He rose again the third day according to the scriptures


In Corroboration:

If thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Romans 10:9-10

1- Public Confession, via the mouth
     [Assuming Physical Limitations: by whatever means
     that allow for a public confession]
2- Believe that God raised Jesus from the dead, resulting in
3- Salvation


What must one Confess?

The Lord Jesus:

1- His Sacrifice
2- His Death & Burial
3- Three Days in the Tomb
4- Raised Again by God


1) Why His Sacrifice?

a- Hebrews 4:10 "For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins."
b- Hebrews 10:10-14 "By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: but this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; from henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified."
c- John 14:6 "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

2) Why His Death & Burial?

a- Hebrews 9:22 "...without shedding of blood is no remission."
b- John 1:29 "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world."
c- Genesis 22:8 "God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering"*

*Corroboration: That this refers to Jesus is evidenced by the fact that what was provided to Abraham in place of Isaac, was a Ram, whose horns were caught in a thicket... Lambs do not have horns. It would be some 1500 years later before God would "Provide Himself AS" a Lamb for the burnt offering...

d- Revelation 13:8 "...the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world."
e- Ephesians 1:7 "In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace"
f- Colossians 1:14 "In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins"
g- Colossians 1:20-22 "And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled in the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight"


3) Why His Resurrection?

a- 1 Corinthians 15:13-18 "But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: and if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not. For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: and if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished."
b- Matthew 22:32 "I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living."


Our Proper Response to Grace:

1) To accept what God freely offers through Jesus Christ
a- Acts 16:31 "...Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved..."
b- Romans 10:9-10 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."
c- Romans 10:13 "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

2) To respond in love and gratitude by working
a- John 14:15 "If ye love me, keep my commandments."
b- John 14:21 "He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him."
c- John 14:23-24a "Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings..."
d- John 21:15-17 "So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep."
e- Ephesians 2:10 "For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."
f- James 2:14-26 " What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him? If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, and one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit? Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way? For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also."

3) Work that includes bearing much fruit, and defending the Gospel. We are to be either in the field of harvest, or on the field of battle-- no lolly-gagging around! That's what happened to David: 2 Samuel 11:1-2

And it came to pass, after the year was expired, at the time when kings go forth to battle, that David sent Joab, and his servants with him, and all Israel; and they destroyed the children of Ammon, and besieged Rabbah. But David tarried still at Jerusalem. And it came to pass in an eveningtide, that David arose from off his bed, and walked upon the roof of the king's house: and from the roof he saw a woman washing herself; and the woman was very beautiful to look upon. And David sent and enquired after the woman. And one said, Is not this Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite?



Penalty of Failure to Respond to the Call of Grace:

1) Eternal Separation from the presence of Almighty God.

a- John 3:3 "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
b- Romans 8:9 "...Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his."
c- Matthew 22:11-13 "And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment: and he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless. Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
d- Acts 4:12 "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."
e- 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God."
f- Revelation 20:15 "And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."
g- Revelation 21:27 "And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life."
h- Revelation 22:15 "For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie."


Go ye therefore into all the world

1) Ezekiel 3:18-19 "When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand. Yet if thou warn the wicked, and he turn not from his wickedness, nor from his wicked way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul."
2) John 3:17 "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."
3) 2 Peter 3:9 "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."


Go out into the highways and hedges:

1) Matthew 22:1-14 "And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said, The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son, and sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come. Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage. But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise: and the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them. But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city. Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy. Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage. So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests. And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment: and he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless. Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. For many are called, but few are chosen."

And compel them...

2) Luke 14:16-24 "Then said [Jesus] unto him, A certain man made a great supper, and bade many: and sent his servant at supper time to say to them that were bidden, Come; for all things are now ready. And they all with one consent began to make excuse. The first said unto him, I have bought a piece of ground, and I must needs go and see it: I pray thee have me excused. And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to prove them: I pray thee have me excused. And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come. So that servant came, and shewed his lord these things. Then the master of the house being angry said to his servant, Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in hither the poor, and the maimed, and the halt, and the blind. And the servant said, Lord, it is done as thou hast commanded, and yet there is room. And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled. For I say unto you, That none of those men which were bidden shall taste of my supper."



In short:

1) There is only one Sacrifice capable of saving anyone
2) There was only one person Capable of making that sacrifice
3) That person was Jesus; God-incarnate
4) The Sacrifice was for all, but only those who accept it will be saved
5) Failure to accept that Sacrifice results in eternal damnation
6) Genuine conversion results in a desire to do good works, which include:
        a- Witnessing the faith
        b- Defending the faith
        c- Practicing the faith


------------

[ Gadzooks! ER's dreaded List! ]

16 Comments:

  1. Erudite Redneck said...
    Egad. Actually, I really don't think I disagree with much of that. Other than the certainty that you insist others must have on every point. I reject any "formula" that leaves no room for doubt.

    Also, my (and many others') interpretation leaves room for those who have never heard the Gospel preached to be saved by surrender to the need for the Creator to have made some provision, whatever that might be, but which we believe is Jesus).

    Oh, and the fact that some people are born mute -- or later in life lose their ability to speak -- kind of weakens the whole framework of you complex "no-compromise" framework.

    Unless you believe that those who are physically unable to "confess with their mouth" are damned. And if you don't, then you can keep pickin' your verses to take literally, and those that have some wiggle room, and I'll keep pickin' my verses to take literally, and those that have some wiggle room.
    Dan Trabue said...
    Yeah, I agree with your words here, too, Eric. Mostly, anyway.

    At least until you start defining them a bit differently than I might.

    But not much to disagree with on the surface. Sorry. Maybe next time...
    Eric said...
    "...some people are born mute -- or later in life lose their ability to speak..."

    You're right. How doltish of me to not catch that. Please note my addendum to that point.

    --------

    "my (and many others') interpretation leaves room for those who have never heard the Gospel preached to be saved by surrender to the need for the Creator to have made some provision...."

    Unscriptural, but I won't argue the point here accept to ask: Why do you say... "BUT which we believe is Jesus"? How is this not contradictory to your previous thought, within the same statement, that God has provided other means for a special class of people-- those who have never heard the name Jesus; which is, again, unscriptural?

    If you're going to use the "Other Sheep" argument, you're way off base, because those statements reference Gentiles being brought into the family of God WITH believing Jews into ONE body we know today as "The Church" ...the Bride of Christ. Jesus was not referring to peoples who had not heard His name.

    Personally, I would like to think some provision has been made for these peoples as well, but I can find no verse or doctrine in the Bible that even indirectly teaches this.

    What Jesus did CLEARLY teach was,

    "I AM the DOOR"

    "I AM THE WAY, the TRUTH, and the LIFE. NO MAN comes to the Father BUT BY ME."

    "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will DRAW ALL MEN UNTO ME."

    Perhaps our "provision" is in that last one. But even so, it is to HIM we are drawn... and no other.


    Sorry. Guess I DID argue the point.
    Erudite Redneck said...
    Welp, yer not arguing with me. 'Cause I didn't say "God has provided other means for a special class of people -- those who have never heard the name Jesus ..."

    Jesus is the Door. If people are looking for the Door -- that is, if they know because the Law is written on their hearts, and because the Creation cries out -- but don't find Him, because of either time or space that they can't do anything about, well, then I think they're covered by Grace -- and I really don't care whether that's, strictly speaking, in the Bible or not. But I think it is. In the penumbra.
    Eric said...
    What "Penumbra"? Job 10:21?

    "antes de mi partida sin regreso a la tierra de la penumbra y de las sombras"
    Erudite Redneck said...
    Come again?

    If you're attributing my thinking to darkness, I'd be careful. It is the Light of Grace itself I'm talking about.
    Dan Trabue said...
    Eric, could you provide me those three criteria you showed me not long ago for interpreting scripture? I've looked for it but can't find them.

    Thanks.
    Eric said...
    Axioms of Translation:

    1-- God cannot lie
    2-- The truth of one statement cannot negate the truth of another statement
    3-- If the truths of two or more verses appear to be contradictory, the verses must be viewed as possessing dissimilar contexts
    Dan Trabue said...
    Thank you.
    Erudite Redneck said...
    Apparently, the Lord that no one see the lengthy comment I just posted and lost.

    Suffice it to say that I think you have overly simplified things. Again. :-)
    Marshal Art said...
    "Suffice it to say that I think you have overly simplified things. Again. :-)"

    Wow! "Jesus is Lord" and "Grace". How has Eric simplified it more than that?
    Erudite Redneck said...
    Wow is right! I meant "over complicated." Look at his checklist! Crazy.

    EL thinks the Pearly Gates will have long lines, like at modern airports. Wand searches. Paperwork in order. Take yer shoes off and go through the metal detector. f you look suspicious, they take you into another room -- and you muight very well be arrested if you look like one of "them" and do NOT have all your papers in order.

    I think it'll be more like a 1940s airport. Walk in, flash yer ticket, go on yer way.
    Eric said...
    Actually no... the line will be quite small compared to the one going in the other direction. QUITE small.
    Erudite Redneck said...
    We disagree on that, too. I think you just like to think that because it makes you feel special -- which, actually, is the opposite of humility.

    I could be wrong. But I doubt it.

    I could be right. I doubt that, too.

    Where DO you get all yer certainty, EL? Not "knowledge" -- but yer cocksuredness? I don't see it as either a reqirement or a legitimate expectation.
    Marshal Art said...
    ER,

    It's one thing to say one is sure of how things probably work in the hereafter. It's another to say one is sure of one's eligibility. We assume much due to the notion that all it takes is faith and acceptance of Christ as Lord and Savior. But I don't see that one can honestly look at the Bible as a whole, and even with your version of things, say with certainty that anyone can be a lock just by saying he believes. Imagine the worst person ever, whomever that may be for you, and then imagine that person being the worst yet insisting he's a believer. You think he can simply "flash his ticket and be on his way"?

    I think Eric's position isn't so complex as yours is simplistic. Keep in mind that we are to act and believe on God's terms and not our own. Yeah, we'll find out who was the closest when the time comes, but I think it's too easy to take our salvation for granted by what it seems your take on situation seems. Going the extra mile is a good rule of thumb and frankly, at this point, from hearing you and Geoffrey and some others, you seem content simply pulling out of the driveway. But then, I'm still trying to figure you out, oh mysterious one.
    Eric said...
    I believe it was Jesus who said...

    "Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." Matthew 7:13-14

    Interesting contrast, that. No mention of "finding" the broad gate, since we're all on it unless and until we find the narrow gate... hidden in plain sight.

    Cocksuredness based on clear doctrine from the lips of Christ Himself.

Post a Comment