Channel: Home | About

Soul Swizzle

A song has been rattling in my head the last few weeks-- an entire album, actually. I can't say much for Neil Young accept every artist, real or wannabe, has moments of genuine inspiration, and Harvest was Neil's one shining moment. Nothing he has done, before or after, in terms of whole compositions [albums], shines as bright.

And there is a line from Harvest that shines brightest...

As the days fly past
will we lose our grasp
Or fuse it in the sun?


I'm not sure I can put a finger on just what it is about this album that so tenaciously resides in my soul's musical museum of recollection, but there is a quality to its tone, its heart, its... agony... that touches me very deeply. I can relate to much of what I hear, if not the lyrics themselves. It's as though Neil's voice were made for this one collection of songs.

Other songs have likewise taken up permanent residence in my soul'sl museum, for single lines of verse...

I hope the Russians love their children too

--Sting, Russians


Some things take so long
So how do I explain?
When not too many people
Can see we're all the same
And because of all their tears
Their eyes can't hope to see
The beauty that surrounds them
Isn't it a pity?


--George Harrison, Isn't it a Pity


The lines of my earth, so brittle, unfertile, and ready to die.
I need a drink, but the well has run dry


--Sixpence None the Richer, The Lines of my Earth


Sometimes I feel like I'm the loneliest
of all creatures in the universe


--Klaatu, Loneliest of Creatures


I had you and my poetry to protect me...

--Red Rider, White Hot


And so many others...

Speaking strictly from my perspective of this side of the river, I hope I still retain them on the other side.


7 Comments:

  1. Dan Trabue said...
    For lyrical magic, I dig Jackson Browne's songs...

    My personal revenge will be to give you
    These hands that once you so mistreated
    But have failed to take away their tenderness


    [from "My Personal Revenge," not written by Browne]

    And Rich Mullins writing...

    There's rumors He even thinks Himself a king
    Of a kingdom of paupers
    Simpletons and rogues
    The whores all seem to love Him
    And the drunks propose a toast
    And they say, "Surely God is with us..."


    ["Surely God is With Us"]

    But for sheer mystical poetry, you gotta love Dave Carter...

    Slender and wicked, flame in her eyes
    Pearl white and nickel 'round the curve of her thighs
    Smooth as dry whiskey, but cold to caress
    She slid like a viper from her tooled leather dress


    [from "41 Thunderer," a song about a pistol...]

    sigh, mournful sister, whisper and turn,
    I will rattle like dry leaves when I go
    stand in the mist where my fire used to burn,
    I will camp on the night breeze when i go
    and should you glimpse my wandering form out on the borderline
    between death and resurrection and the council of the pines
    do not worry for my comfort, do not sorrow for me so
    all your diamond tears will rise up and
    adorn the sky beside me when I go


    [from "When I Go"]

    You familiar with Dave Carter/Tracy Grammer? Dave's passed on now, but Grammer's still around and making great music.
    Neil said...
    I always loved Neil Young's music (even though I don't care for his politics). "Freedom" is probably my favorite NY album.
    Marshal Art said...
    From Paul Simon's "I Am A Rock" (I think it's called) he also says,

    I have my books and my poetry to protect me.

    Inadvertant plagerism?

    Just for the sound of it, I love this bit from Steppenwolf:

    If I were the president of this land
    I'd declare total war on the PusherMan.
    I'd cut him if he stands and I'd shoot him if he runs.
    Then I'd hit him with my Bible and I'd raise the rent...


    As a singer (but only in the car or choir these days), to get to do a song that has the perfect blend of melody and language is sublime.
    Eric said...
    Gotta defend Red Rider on this Art. Google "Red rider" + "White Hot" + "Lyrics" and take a gander at the entire song.

    Paul Simon has used the word "poetry" in his songs... more than once... but he doesn't have a lock on the word.
    Marshal Art said...
    Not at all Eric. But it's not just "poetry", but the entire phrase "poetry to protect me". And at that, I'm not even coming down on Red Rider, only commenting that Simon used the same phrase. More of a "great minds think alike" kinda thing.
    Dan Trabue said...
    Still, your stubborn insistence on bringing it up calls into question your "christianity," right?

    ha ha...
    Marshal Art said...
    Not at all to Dan. There's nothing stubborn or insistent about it. Just merely a mention. Cut me at least THAT much slack if you please.

Post a Comment