Channel: Home | About


Jean "Moebius" Giraud: 1938-2012

This is the man who both fascinated and inspired me-- more than any other artist --to be myself in everything I drew; to develop my own style and vision.


Most of you won't even know him... that is, until I tell you one of his stories can be found in the early 1980's film Heavy Metal.

I first met Moebius in Heavy Metal Magazine with the adventures of John Difool in "The Incal," and later with his graphic novel, "The Airtight Garage." I have always admired his work; his visionary worlds and concepts. He took the simple stroke of pen and made it beautiful. I wanted to draw like... still want to draw like him. I want his portion; the one God gave him.






A poster he painted for environmental conservation is directly responsible for the main element of a short story wrote eleven years ago; a story that is growing into a full length novel.

He took the ordinary and made it extraordinary by asking, "what if I...?" He paid attention to detail without drawing every detail. He extracted the beauty from the banal, forcing the simple lines to show what world-weary eyes often miss. to recognize And that's all I've been trying to do my entire life. Sometimes I've found my visions to be on the same par if not caliber. But his is the standard to which I've always looked.

There are certainly other artist I admire... Maxfield Parrish for one, Michael Parks, for another. Picasso before cubism (specifically his Rose Period)... but I can't help but love the man who gave sight to many of my own personal visions.

May God grant him peace.













2 Comments:

  1. Marshal Art said...
    The artwork in Heavy Metal Mag, despite its too often gratuitous sex, was always top-notch. As one who used to spend much time, pencil and sketchbook in hand, I was fascinated with the level of creativity always on display within its pages, and marveled and wondered at what types of hallucinogenics must have been required to result in such imaginative works. Is Heavy Metal still available? I'll have to find out and pick up a copy. It's been years.
    Eric said...
    Yes, Heavy Metal is still available in larger stores like Barnes & Noble, and it's still "gratuitous". I stopped buying the magazine years ago... decades ago... but yes, the artwork was, and continues to be, top notch.

Post a Comment