Channel: Home | About

Here in America, the fate of Jill Carroll, the latest victim of kidnapping in Iraq, is still up in the air. Everyone by now has seen her face on the television, heard the story of how great a friend to Iraqis she is, and everyone, including Iraqis, begging for her release. This is as it should be. But it took a post at Riverbendblog... Baghdad Burning... to see the human face of Jill Carroll's interpreter, Alan Ghazi. [See River's January 12th post -- "Thank You for the Music"]

I admit I find it difficult to find common ground with people I watch day in/day out on every news cast I'm either a part of, or just a spectator [Reporters rarely tell who the people in their packages really are]. I do not know these people, and can't possiblly get a clear idea of what they are like as individuals, with hopes and dreams of their own.

Riverbend knew Alan Ghazi well, and her eulogy is both touching and enlightening. Alan Ghazi was a man I could very well have been friends with-- considering our mutual love of music --but for the happenstance of birth and the distance between us. How many other people out there do I have similar affinities with, that borders, customs, finances and wherewithal prevent me from meeting face to face, and becoming fast friends?

It's worth the trip to RiverbendBlog to read her post. Because of her eulogy, I wonder about all the people in Iran who, because of gathering storm clouds and the growing tension over nuclear arms, I will miss out on meeting. Realistically, the question is moot, as I'm in no position to travel anywhere. Despite this, River has given me a new perspective on conflicts, and what is lost because of them.


UPDATE: But then why do I need to travel anywhere to meet these people when I have the internet at my fingertips even now?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment