Channel: Home | About

Sunday evening I checked my email and found an invitation to take part in a national poll-- I was a bit surprised because I was under the impression that polls were taken via telephone. Forty-five minutes later. This is what I came away with...

I was questioned not only about my feelings AND beliefs on issues, but also what I knew of my congressmen's feelings on issues; specifically, how my Senators and Representative voted on certain key issues like Stem Cell Research, Abortion, Gay Marriage, Immigration and Amnesty, the War in Iraq, and the broader War on Terror.

The poll went so far as to ask that I identify who my Senators and Representative are. Which put into my mind the thought that many people probably have no idea who represents them in our government.

On some issues I knew exactly how my guys voted, but in others I wasn't sure enough to check anything but "Unsure" which in turn pointed out to me that I don't know everything I should know about how my Senators and Representative reresent me. Rep. Terry Everett I know to be a good man. A supporter of Israel (an important factor for me), and a defender of life. I also know that since his district includes Fort Rucker he's a big supporter of the military and the mission in Iraq. He fought hard for us during the recent BRAC hearings, and our community fared quite well-- we gained a lot more than we lost.

Rep Everett is also my boss-lady's uncle-- morning job [floral delivery]. She used to work at the television station with me, and I somehow ended up with a second job driving for her. Anyway, Rep Everett is a frequent visitor at the station, and I've had the opportunity to speak with him a few times. I like the guy.

Senators Shelby and Sessions however, are less frequent visitors. I've never had the opportunity to meet Sen Shelby. But I know enough about these two men to know they represent me and Alabama quite well. I don't see them losing elections anytime in the near future.

But back to the poll. Another thing that struck me about the poll was it's indepth look into my spiritual life and how that parlayed to my choice of candidates, and how I intended to vote. There were plenty of catch-phrases like "born-again" and "evangelical". I am what I am by the grace of God, and if I'm to be a child of God I have to see and view my life as a purposed life. My life has purpose, and that is to bring Glory and Honor to my God and my King, which means my decisions have to be based on advancing His agenda, not my own.

I could get caught back up in the rat race, spending just to spend, rushing about to fit as many places and things into each day, but that would leave me with no time for the more important things. It's easy to loose sight of what is most important in life. It's easy to let this world distract you-- I know because I'm daily distracted! But if I'm to view myself as a child of God, I must also view myself as a child of the King, which means this place is not my home. All of the crap I buy to fill my house with will belong to someone else when I'm gone.

I have to work in the world if I'm to have the barest of necessities... even a few fleeting pleasures, but that job should be viewed as I view my job at the flower shop... my second job... my part-time job, because doing God's work is my primary responsibility. His will should be my full-time job, for it is the paycheck I get from Him that will stead me lavishly when I retire from this earth.

The poll also reinforced the ideal of good stewardship. We must know our candidates: who they are, what they support, and how they vote. And we must not be afraid of voting poorly performing representatives out of office. Forget about the overall impact of such a vote; it's all in God's hands anyway.

Just like a stock that is performing poorly, we must be willing to pull our investment out of such a stock and place it somewhere else. And how can you do that if you don't follow the performance of your individual investments? An unwatched portfolio earns the exact return it deserves: whatever happenstance allows. But a personally managed portfolio, assuming it's managed by sound principles, earns far far more. And right now, my political portfolio is doing just fine.

Anyway... I know I strayed, but there it is. My first experience with a national election poll.


On a side note: I am surprised that I've little concern for the outcome of next weeks election; far less than I did just three months ago. I don't chalk this up to confidence that Republicans will retain the House-- they won't lose the Senate --but rather, the sure knowledge that whatever happens, God's plan is still advanced. As long as I do my part, I'll do well. And God will supply the rest.

4 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Well, what do you think of the notion that the Bush administration has been using evangelicals? Has that dampened the enthusiasm of religious voters at all?

    There's an op ed on it here, but the real news story is the book by David Kuo, the ex-head of Bush's faith-based initiative, Kuo claims Bush et al. talked up the idea for political gain, but underfunded it and mocked religious conservatives behind their backs.

    Some other links:
    CBS
    BBC

    Just curious, not intending to start a debate. I've been enjoying the lack of politics on the blogs lately...
    Anonymous said...
    "Just curious, not intending to start a debate..."

    Fair enough.

    I've read the reports about "BushCo" mocking Evangelicals. As to whether that extends to Bush himself, who can say? But I don't believe that's the case.

    It is however a difficult thing to stack ones administration with like-minded advisors and cabinet people. I'm sure qualified people can be found among evangelicals, but it would be foolish to overlook well-qualified people simply because they didn't fit into one's ideological mold. That being said, any Evangelical worth his or her salt [pun intended] will vote for a candidate who best supports the will of God. But that doesn't mean that any one candidate is perfect. Even the pope needs a savior.

    As to dampening: I'm sure it has dampened some, but I don't believe that number to be very high. As I've already stated, any Evangelical worth his or her salt....

    What I've found most curious is Kerry's verbal faux pas yesterday. Democrats; Reid, Pelosi, Durbin, Murtha, et al, have consciously avoided any talk of Iraq these last few weeks. Now everyone seems to be scrambling to cover Kerry's tracks, and making excuses; everyone in the media that is... Thus far, Democrats remain conspicuously silent, and Pelosi and Reid are seemingly incognito.
    Anonymous said...
    Forty-five minutes? Dang, that's a LONG poll.

    I was called with an automated poll during the last Presidential election, and I got so mad I hung up on it!

    I don't remember the exact wording of the questions now, but they were a "choose a or b" format, and the question and both answers were obviously slanted to make the incumbent look like a dope.
    Anonymous said...
    I had several reactions to Kerry's gaffe. One, why do we still have to listen to this guy? I'm a liberal and I can't stand the sound of his voice anymore. Two, if we ever needed proof that he has abysmal political instincts, here it is.

    BTW, I don't think Dems have been avoiding Iraq. Murtha had a pretty devastating essay on it just two weeks ago.

Post a Comment