Channel: Home | About

A few years back Eric and two others decided to create an online role-playing game. As "all things art" is my area of expertise it fell to me for the look; ie, maps, images, yada, yada... The project went no where, but I did come out of it with a lot of new maps, one of which I'm sharing here.

Goma is a city in the southern plains of a continent I call Tamarast, which is a rip-off of another on-going-- spanning two plus decades in fact --project of mine to create a plausible, natural, new language that is also usable... 'Tama' in fact, means War, and 'Ras' means speak, or speech. What you get is 'War Speak' or 'Battle Language'. Adding a 't' to 'Ras', in fact, changes the form from the physical act of speaking to the construct of speech itself; namely, 'Language'. I've been working on this since '82. It'll never be finished.

Please don't bother telling me I'm weird or strange... I already know this.

As to the map-- Blue represents ground level. White is any structure higher than 2 feet. Many of the buildings have open centers, as Goma is very hot in summer and only marginally less so in winter. Crops are sown, tended, and harvested during winter. Nothing grows well in summer.

6 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Hey, I dig weird and strange.

    You know how we're told in the Bible to "be holy, as God is holy"? I've often thought that a good translation for holy (actual definition: Set apart for a special purpose) would be "weird."

    Be weird, as God is weird.

    Yeah, I dig weird. 's cool.
    Anonymous said...
    That said: Man! Making your own language is weird, dude!
    Anonymous said...
    I was heavily into Dungeons & Dragons then, and the goal was immersion, hence the map making and the languages. What better way to communicate intent without everyone else at the table knowing.
    Anonymous said...
    You must have a lot of free time between shows.

    My D&D days were while I was in tech-school at Keesler. All-nighters ending in scattered beer bottles and stacked empty Domino's boxes!
    Anonymous said...
    And a headache!
    Anonymous said...
    Ah, D&D. I still have my dice, though I haven't played hardly at all since the kids were born.

    They have a way of putting a damper on it. ;P

Post a Comment