Channel: Home | About

Just for fun, since the only people who seem to comment these days are critics and scoffers... How's about a bit o' music?


"Christmas"
from Tommy, by The Who


[Father: To All]

Did you ever see the faces of children
They get so excited.
Waking up on christmas morning
Hours before the winter sun's ignited.
They believe in dreams and all they mean
Including heavens generosity.
Peeping round the door
to see what parcels are for free
In curiosity.

And Tommy doesn't know what day it is.
Doesn't know who Jesus was or what praying is.
How can he be saved,
From the eternal grave?

Surrounded by his friends he sits so silently,
And unaware of everything.
Playing poxy pinball
picks his nose and smiles and
Pokes his tongue at everything.
I believe in love
but how can men who've never seen
Light be enlightened?
Only if he's cured
will his spirit's future level ever heighten.

And Tommy doesn't know what day it is.
Doesn't know who Jesus was or what praying is.
How can he be saved,
From the eternal grave?

[Father: To Tommy]
Tommy can you HEAR me?
Tommy can you HEAR me?
Tommy can you hearrr me?

[Father: To All]
How can he be saved?

[Tommy: Inwardly]
See me, feel me
Touch me, heal me.
See me, feel me
Touch me, heal me!

[Father: To Tommy]
Tommy can you HEAR me?
Tommy can you HEAR me?
Tommy can you hearrr me?

[Father: To All]
How can he be saved?



It is true that "Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God," and it is impossible to come to God any other way but through Jesus. It is further true that unless the Holy Spirit draws you, you are none of his...

"No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day."

Without the hearing or reading of the Word of God how can the Holy Spirit convict us of sin and make us to believe in our hearts that Jesus is our only hope of salvation? As to what dispensation God bestows upon those without sight, hearing, or speech I do not know. Even speech appears to be a necessity, for,

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

But I DO know that,

"He that hath ears to hear, let him hear..."
and
"For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them."

Jesus Himself admits that eyes and hears attuned to His word is what converts and heals.

Time is drawing short, people.


Listening to you,
I get the music.
Gazing at you,
I get the heat.
Following you,
I climb the mountains.
I get excitement at your feet.

Right behind you,
I see the millions.
On you,
I see the glory.
From you,
I get opinions.
From you,
I get the story.

7 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    You should write a musical, EL! :D
    Anonymous said...
    "As to what dispensation God bestows upon those without sight, hearing, or speech I do not know. Even speech appears to be a necessity"

    Or, we can realize that we need not take those words exactly literally. Surely you'll not damn the mute and deaf to hell?

    There are more than one way to confess and more than one way to hear...
    Anonymous said...
    "Surely you'll not damn the mute and deaf to hell?"

    Surely you have a firm grasp of language! Did I not claim to NOT know how God will deal with the mute, deaf and blind? besides which, it was my intent to imply ignorance as to how God will deal with people who have these disabilities in combination... not Individually. The blind can hear and read the Gospel, the deaf can read the gospel, and the Mute can both read and hear the gospel. The Holy Spirit can overcome any obstacle. I only admit to not fully understanding the hows and wherefores.
    Anonymous said...
    Man! Those lyrics have got me humming, EL!
    Anonymous said...
    Been trying to think of something thoughtful to say about this post.

    Can' think of much.

    But ...

    Re, "It is true that "Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God," and it is impossible to come to God any other way but through Jesus. It is further true that unless the Holy Spirit draws you, you are none of his..."

    OK, so far.

    "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day."

    OK, so far.

    "Without the hearing or reading of the Word of God how can the Holy Spirit convict us of sin and make us to believe in our hearts that Jesus is our only hope of salvation?"

    I don't know, but the Spirit does. That, or God is a cruel God, condemning those who haven't overtly heard the Gospel, and no amount of protesting over His righteousness and holiness and justiceness ameliorates the favct that it would be Cruel and, well, evil, actually, to so condemn people. God being neither cruel nor evil, He must communicate the hearts in ways we can't quantify. ... I'd say the Creation itself crying out in witness to the Creator, and the emptiness of a heart longing for Communion *with* said Creator, prepares the heart and effects salvation borne on the trust that those ignorant of the Gospel place in God to have provided a Way they know not of. But I confess I don't know.

    None of which negates the need to spread the Gospel. Salvation by the skin of the teeth is one thing; life more abundantly is quite another.
    Anonymous said...
    I prefer Quadrophenia
    Anonymous said...
    "I prefer Quadrophenia"

    I always did too. But having tunes from "Tommy" go through my head the last few days has been kinda cool.

Post a Comment