Channel: Home | About

Yesterday afternoon was cold-- mid-thirties, wind, rain. And there I am at the Flying J trying to gas up, but half their pumps are out for some reason. So I'm waiting in line behind two other cars.

A few minutes into my wait a truck backs up to a pump that is out of order, I see the driver look over to the pump only to see the sign. He looks familiar, so familiar in fact my mind immediately gives the guy a name. Before I can have that name confirmed he pulls away and gets in the line next to me on the other side of the pump.

The line moves forward and eventually it's my turn. I get out and swipe the debit card and low and behold there's my congressman Terry Everett on the other side of the pump... turns out I was right.

To make sure, I say, "Congressman?"

He turns and smiles and reaches over and we shake hands.

I say, "I was very sad to hear you are planning to retire. I'm very pleased with the job you do."

He said, "Thank you."

I then asked, "Can you recommend any of those who are running for your seat?"

He said, "No. I can't do that. I just hope it's someone who wants to serve our country rather than have the distinction of sitting in Congress."

"That's what worries me," I said. "We have too many of those as it is, and too many people seem only to want to make a name for themselves rather than serve the people in a manner the people wish to be served."

As I put the nozzle back in its cradle I said, "I am both proud and pleased with your service, sir. I don't know how we'll get by without you."


2 Comments:

  1. Erudite Redneck said...
    That was a rare kind of momnent, seein' a congresscritter out in the wild like that! Glad you made the most of it.
    Mark said...
    I ran into the Speaker of the House of Delegates here in Virginia the other day. I shook his hand and then gave him an earful about my objections to a certain piece of legislation they are working on. I don't think it did any good.

Post a Comment