Channel: Home | About

"Selfish"

Awake, Brother!
And sing of Eternity
     Sing for us the songs of Heaven!
Give comfort to our grief
Give us joy for sorrow
Draw back the curtain and awake!

Awake, Dear Brother!
Sing to us of life everlasting
     Sing for us the majesty of God
Let your joy ease our tears
Lift your voice and sing of Christ!
Draw back the curtain and awake!

For that opaque veil
     That dark threshold~
Which confounds our eyes
Breaks our hearts
Feeds our fears
Has heretofore been our enemy
Death, where is thy sting?
It is here~
     In our hearts
     In our eyes

Blessed, He said
Them that believe having not seen~
And yet would I be comforted
Would you but waken
For what lies before us now
Is but an empty vessel whose spirit has fled
Beyond that muslin opaque

Awake, we pray thee, Dear Brother
Rise up to greet us at the river's edge
Welcome us home when home we come
With songs of our Lord ~ Praise on thy lips
Life in thy eyes
Eternity in thy flesh
Awakened to joy unspeakable
And full of glory


ELAshley
090408.115926.6


7 Comments:

  1. Dan Trabue said...
    Has sort of an old fashioned hymn sound to it. You have a melody?
    Eric said...
    If there is one-- and I can't hear it --it's unlikely I'll ever discover it this side of heaven.
    Dan Trabue said...
    I'm curious: Why "selfish"? That seems not to fit, or am I missing the point?
    Eric said...
    My desire to have him back, in his diseased and pain-ridden body is selfish. He is beyond age, disease, pain.
    Dan Trabue said...
    Of course. Sorry, again, for your loss. He must have been a swell fella.
    Erudite Redneck said...
    Looks like a uniuon ballad to me. And I mean that as a compliment. :-)
    Erudite Redneck said...
    OK. Sorry. I read is more closely. ... Just that hymnodic appeal to brotherhood makes me think of union brotherhood.

    But I retract the notion, in respect for your mourning.

    Sorry, dude.

Post a Comment